Location: Alameda, California
- Assembly, fabrication, prototyping.
- Shop maintenance and upkeep, including machinery maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Conduct work actions in compliance with industry standards for safety.
- Work with the Product Development team to support the Company’s goals.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Activities requiring handling and grasping with the hands when performing repairs or maintenance of equipment by utilizing hand tools, power tools, air tools, nuts, bolts, electronic controls, and other small parts
- Occasional use of foot/feet to operate foot pedal on equipment to test operation
- Lifting: frequent up to 25 lbs, occasional up to 50 lbs, infrequent up to 75 lbs
- Ability to walk and stand on concrete and uneven surfaces for at least 4 hours per day
- Ability to bend, kneel and work with arms raised for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to climb over and into heavy equipment and/or confined spaces
- Occasional working at heights above 10 ft
- Occasional exposure to bright lights, extreme temperatures, noise, dust, fumes, etc.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience, Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States, 18 years or older.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- High skill level with general shop mechanical and electrical equipment and metal fabrication techniques. Manual & CNC mill, lathe, drill press, saws, MIG & TIG welding, waterjet/HD plasma/laser. Precision assembly including proper bolt torquing, bearing fitting and seal installation. Experience with hydraulic and pneumatic power systems. Experience with rigging and dunning of heavy items.
- Certifications: powered industrial truck operator, crane operator, first aid/first responder, Class B CDL, truck & trailer, confined spaces certification.
- Desired but not essential: general electrical workbench skills (basic circuit analysis and design, soldering, crimping, use of multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc. . .);
- Ability to work effectively with minimum supervision; creativity and resourcefulness in solving problems with limited resources.
- Attention to detail, pride in quality, and a strong customer service mindset.
Founded by MIT alumni, Natel Energy, Inc. is developing a new hydropower product enabling profitable production of low impact, distributed baseload energy from existing low dams, irrigation canals, and other low head hydropower resources. Natel is located in beautiful office and manufacturing space in the control tower of the former Naval Air Station in Alameda, CA. (Candidate must be willing to locate in the Bay Area.)
We offer competitive compensation, health insurance, and an opportunity to work in a fun and intense environment with highly skilled, creative people. We are recruiting self-motivated, results-driven candidates who take pride in quality and thrive on challenging problems.
Natel’s vision is to harness the power of moving water to deliver reliable, renewable energy at a cost competitive with traditional generation sources such as coal and natural gas, while protecting or enhancing watershed ecosystems.
Natel’s products enable the development of the significant low head hydropower resource in the U.S. and abroad. With Natel’s SLH technology, thousands of existing low dams and drops, both in constructed waterways and in streams, can be retrofitted with a minimum of environmental impact to produce a new source of renewable, reliable electricity. In addition, new hydropower developments can be designed that work within river ecosystems to minimize environmental impact, while delivering low-cost, renewable, reliable electricity.
However, developing the hydropower resource is dependent on solutions that 1) do not require building large dams to accumulate head pressure, 2) minimize the environmental and social impacts historically associated with hydropower development, and 3) reduce the installed cost of these projects. Natel’s proprietary SLH technology can economically operate at drops one-tenth the height required by conventional turbines, enabling development of the significant potential currently inaccessible by conventional hydropower technologies.
Interested applicants must respond with a cover letter explaining why they are best qualified and motivated to win THIS JOB (generic coverletters are highly discouraged), along with a resume/CV/summary of experience, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Mechanical Technician” in the subject.