Are you an experienced renewable energy commissioning manager or senior field engineer looking for a change of pace? Founded by MIT alumni, Natel Energy, Inc. is launching a groundbreaking hydropower product enabling cost-effective production of low impact, distributed baseload hydropower from existing low dams, irrigation canals, and other low head hydropower resources. We are located in the heart of the Bay Area with office and manufacturing space on the former Naval Air Station in Alameda, CA. The work environment is dynamic, collaborative and energized by recent technical and commercial successes.
Natel Energy, Inc. is recruiting an experienced and skilled field engineer to help produce and support installations of the Company’s hydroelectric turbomachinery products in the field. You will have an opportunity to shape and grow an OEM’s team and approach for prototype and product commissioning, debugging, and maintenance. If you are seeking a challenging, dynamic, and open-ended role with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility, we encourage you to apply!
- On-call to operate, maintain, and repair Natel Energy products, including mechanical, electrical, controls, and hydraulic systems.
- Travel to field sites (ie: customer installations, field/lab testing sites, etc). Travel will be primarily within the United States, but may involve some international projects. Travel may occur on short notice, and duration may be extended and unpredictable.
- Develop early prototype and problem-solving activities into repeatable, documented operational processes. Leverage relevant industry experience to guide product development toward a successful O&M strategy and avoid pitfalls.
- Plan, prepare, and instruct both internal and external training programs as required to share field engineering and/or product knowledge; Oversee field work done by others.
- Planning, coordination, budgeting, and in-shop/field activities related to construction, commissioning, and maintenance of the Company’s products and projects.
- Perform administrative functions, such as writing technical, customer, and/or job status reports, requesting quotes, ordering materials, preparing time and expense sheets in a thorough and timely manner. Exercise good judgment in controlling costs and expenditures of Company funds.
- Develop relationships with relevant 3rd party providers (eg part suppliers, wind/solar ISPs) to build Natel’s competence and capabilities in support of product deployments.
- Conduct work actions in compliance with industry standards for safety.
- Manage multiple field and fabrication projects; establish and track against milestones.
- Develop knowledge of relevant Terms and Conditions, both of the Company and of customers and/or subcontractors; act to assure compliance and minimize risk.
- Achieve the highest level of customer satisfaction in all transactions and relationships.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Activities requiring handling and grasping with the hands when performing repairs or maintenance of equipment by utilizing hand tools, power tools, air tools, nuts, bolts, electronic controls, and other small parts
- Occasional use of foot/feet to operate foot pedal on equipment to test operation
- Lifting: frequent up to 25 lbs, occasional up to 50 lbs, infrequent up to 75 lbs
- Ability to walk and stand on concrete and uneven surfaces for at least 4 hours per day
- Ability to bend, kneel and work with arms raised for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to climb over and into heavy equipment and/or confined spaces
- Occasional working at heights above 10 ft
- Occasional exposure to bright lights, extreme temperatures, noise, dust, fumes, etc.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience.
- Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.
- 18 years or older.
- Prior experience in commissioning, operating, debugging, and maintaining mechanical and electrical aspects of industrial equipment (hydropower or wind power experience preferred).
- Prior experience supervising plant construction crews or other technician teams.
- Competent with general shop mechanical and electrical equipment, tools, and procedures.
- Certifications may include: Class B CDL, truck & trailer, forklift operator, crane operator, confined spaces certification.
- General electrical workbench skills (circuit analysis and design, soldering, crimping, use of multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc…). PLC programming.
- Ability to work effectively with minimum supervision; creativity and resourcefulness in solving problems in remote locations with limited resources.
- Attention to detail, pride in quality, and a strong customer service mindset.
- Mechanical CAD, including drafting (preferably Siemens NX and Autocad).
Interested applicants must provide a cover letter explaining why they are best qualified and motivated to win THIS JOB (generic cover letters are highly discouraged), along with a resume/CV, to email@example.com.