Natel Energy’s mission is to deliver transformative climate solutions focused on water resources, motivated by the fact that climate change is water change. We do this through a combination of hardware, software and project development. Our hardware solutions are fish-safe, compact, high performance turbines ranging from 100 kW to 3 MW, that produce reliable renewable energy while protecting or enhancing watershed ecosystems. Our software solutions combine satellite data and advanced machine learning techniques to provide more accurate, timely and efficient solutions for forecasting water resources and monitoring landscape change at the watershed scale. Our project development team finds, secures, develops and builds optimal projects deploying our technology solutions. Natel is well funded with support from some of the largest international names in clean energy and climate tech, including Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Schneider Electric Ventures, Ajax Strategies and Chevron Future Energy Ventures.
As a Mechanical Engineer on Natel Energy’s Turbine team, you will play a key role in the development and manufacturing of Natel’s family of low head fish safe hydro turbine products. Our organization requires a skilled and detail oriented individual who is excited to bring their technical communication, design, and process skills to bear on modern renewable energy hydro turbine equipment.
- Are you a proactive, thoughtful mechanical engineer seeking new challenges in a dynamic environment? Does working with multiple collaborators on a range of parallel design projects sound exciting rather than daunting? Do you take pride in your organizational and communications skills?
- Are you passionate about implementing robust CAD modeling processes that get you to a stable, manufacturable result? Do you enjoy finding ways to parameterize, standardize, and simplify designs – and do you enjoy helping others accomplish the same?
- Is achieving a well-fit, suitably finished, properly constrained and easily assembled design – virtually or physically – in the face of real-world tolerances and limitations a rewarding puzzle to solve?
- Are you also passionate in your pursuit of clear production drawings? Have you ever hung up or shared a print you were particularly proud of, or gotten thanks from the shop floor for your efforts?
- Are you excited to bring Natel’s modern hydro turbine designs to production across a range of physical scales, multiple continents, and many types of projects?
If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply to this opportunity! Your role will cover the following areas of responsibility:
- Mechanical design: You will work with the engineering and production teams to move preliminary and detailed product, assembly, and component designs forward. You will design mechanical components and assemblies; conduct and document analyses using spreadsheets and FEA; create and document tolerance stackups across cast, forged, fabricated, machined, and composite parts; incorporate design details such as seals, fasteners, routing, and mounts; ensure access and clearance for assembly and tools; design jigs, fixtures, and tools; review others’ design and drafting work; and collaborate in assembly, testing, validation, and operational efforts.
- Drafting: You will use your knowledge of machine design and drafting standards to produce well thought out production drawings for parts using a range of manufacturing processes and materials. You will take care to ensure that interfaces between parts are properly defined, that finished parts meet requirements, and that expectations of suppliers are clear and comprehensive.
- Manufacturing: You will also be an important part of our team’s procurement, inspection, and assembly functions by communicating with vendors and fabricators, ensuring part quality assessment is clearly defined and properly executed (whether by you, a teammate, or a supplier), and similarly, that assembly instructions and drawings are clear and complete down to the details of fastener torque specifications, bills of materials, etc.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- At least 5 years in a similar role
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar
- Extensive 3D CAD modeling experience, preferably in Siemens NX
- Extensive mechanical drafting experience, preferably in Siemens NX
- A well-versed understanding of ASME Y14.5 GD&T
- Experience in conducting well-documented structural / mechanical analyses
- The ability to select / specify mechanical components such as bearings, fasteners, seals etc using design standards and handbooks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills – comfortable receiving as well as providing direction from/to engineers, designers, technicians, and vendors
The following specific skillsets are pluses:
- Endorsements or certifications in applicable skill areas
- Experience with PLM tools, preferably Siemens Teamcenter
- Hands-on experience with relevant processes (machining, fabrication, casting, inspection, assembly, etc) whether professionally or personally
- Knowledge of AWS 1.1 / 1.6 design and fabrication standards along with ANSI/AWS standard weld symbols
Natel may consider exceptional candidates for remote employment, though if remote your role may require at least occasional onsite presence at Natel’s Alameda, CA facility. Onsite candidates are preferred.
This position will report to Natel’s Director of Engineering.
Founded by MIT alumni, we are headquartered in a beautiful office, R&D and prototyping space in a repurposed hangar on the former Naval Air Station in Alameda, CA. The majority of our team works on a distributed/remote basis so work location is entirely flexible. We offer competitive salary, equity ownership potential, and an opportunity to work in a fun and driven environment with highly skilled, creative people. We are also proud to offer great benefits like 4 weeks of paid vacation and trans-inclusive health insurance plans (along with dental, vision and life insurance). We want our team to live full lives outside of work.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF format.
Please reference “Mechanical Engineer” in the subject.