Reports to: General Manager, Hydro
Location: Remote or Paris, France (EU headquarters)
Natel Energy’s mission is to restore rivers while generating reliable renewable energy, motivated by the fact that climate change is water change. We do this through a combination of hardware, software and project development. Our hardware solutions are fish-safe, compact, high-performance turbines ranging from 100 kW to 3 MW, that produce reliable renewable energy while protecting or enhancing watershed ecosystems. Our software solutions combine satellite data and advanced machine learning techniques to provide more accurate, timely and efficient solutions for forecasting water resources and monitoring landscape change at the watershed scale. Our project development team finds, secures, develops and builds hydropower projects deploying our technology solutions. Natel is well funded with support from some of the largest international names in clean energy and climate tech, including Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Schneider Electric Ventures, Ajax Strategies and Chevron Future Energy Ventures.
In Europe, and in France in particular, Natel is developing greenfield small hydro power plants projects and is well positioned for the refurbishment and repowering of existing small hydro power plants. In that context, we are currently looking for an EU Hydro Project Developer.
The EU Hydro Project Developer will lead the development of greenfield new small hydro power plants in Europe and will also lead the development effort for the repowering of small hydro plants acquired or to be acquired by Natel in Europe. A particular focus on France will be needed. As part of a dynamic and agile team, you will have the opportunity to significantly contribute to Natel’s growth by being accountable for the growth of Natel’s energy projects in Europe and in France in particular. If you are a driven individual seeking a wide range of responsibility and an opportunity to lead a developing plant operations organization, we encourage you to apply..
- Develop new small hydro power plants in Europe, with a particular focus on France. Development goes from site identification to project Notice-to-Proceed and notably encompasses the following activities: site identification, site securing, project engineering and environmental studies, permits and project financing;
- Ensure the repowering of existing assets owned by Natel. This notably encompasses the following activities: project engineering and environmental studies, permits and project financing;
- Screen, identify and assess any new repowering opportunity in Europe;
- Screen, identify, select and manage project development contractors;
- Identify and coordinate with project partners;
- If needed, act as a sales manager for turbine supply;
- Regularly report operational status of the EU project development activity to the management team;
- Work closely with the commercial team to ensure that the best support is provided to the projects being developed;
- Work closely with the engineering team to ensure that the best support is provided to the projects being developed;
- Work closely with the project execution team for major retrofits/repowering of existing assets;
- Act as a representative of Natel towards local stakeholders.
- 3+ years of experience in project development in France. Another European country would be a plus.
- Very good command of French and English is mandatory.
- Experience in renewable energy and in hydropower is preferred.
You would be a good fit if:
- You want to work at a dynamic, agile, impact-focused company.
- You’re pragmatic and get things done efficiently without sacrificing quality.
- You’re humble, empathetic, and understand that giving and receiving honest direct feedback helps everyone to grow.
- You’re a great communicator and enjoy collaborating with an engaged team.
- You’re self-motivated, have an independent work ethic and can stay organized and manage your own time well across multiple projects
- You are passionate about decarbonizing our grid while making our watersheds more resilient to climate change!
Location & Travel
Remote with option of being based in Paris, France. We conduct business using technologies like Slack, Google Suite and video conferencing. We do an annual in-person trip to our Alameda office to work, bond, and celebrate our successes. If you prefer to work in an office, this position could be staffed at our offices in Paris, France.
Travel. We are looking for someone with flexibility to travel to hydro power plants sites for meetings and conferences ~20% of the time on an as-needed basis.
Founded by MIT alumni, we are headquartered in a beautiful office, R&D and prototyping space in a repurposed hangar on the former Naval Air Station in Alameda, CA. The majority of our team works on a distributed/remote basis so work location is entirely flexible. We offer competitive salary, equity ownership potential, and an opportunity to work in a fun and driven environment with highly skilled, creative people. We are also proud to offer great benefits like 4 weeks of paid vacation and trans-inclusive health insurance plans (along with dental, vision and life insurance). We want our team to live full lives outside of work.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 30, 2022. Please reference “EU Hydro Project Developer” in the subject. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Natel Energy is committed to building, supporting, and growing a diverse team. We have a standardized interview process designed to reduce individual bias, and have structured pay scales to prevent inequity. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.