Location: Alameda, California
Natel Energy designs fish-friendly hydroelectric turbines called hydroEnginesⓇ. These turbines can generate over 1 MW and must operate reliably in harsh environments at high efficiency and low cost.
Engineering interns at Natel work on challenging engineering projects critical to the company’s success. As an intern, reporting directly to the Director of Engineering and under the mentorship of Natel’s full-time engineers, you will take your work through any and all phases of the design process, from concept generation to manufacturing and commissioning. You will document your work thoroughly, incorporate what you’ve learned in school and from the literature and share those practices with the team, ask pointed questions, present in design reviews, and be responsible for delivering your projects on time.
We host exceptional interns throughout the year and accept intern applications of any academic year (undergraduate or graduate student) on a rolling basis. Your internship projects will be based on current company needs. Here are a few examples of past projects:
- Civil engineering interns have scoped concepts of innovative civil works designs for low-head hydroelectric power plants.
- Environmental engineering interns have developed a model of distributed, networked hydro to quantify the value of deploying a coordinated network of plants.
- Mechanical engineering interns have had projects in machine design creating fatigue testers to test hydroEngine components, written simulations to test hydroEngine behavior in Matlab and PLC based simulation, and designed fixtures for hydroEngine assembly.
You will thrive in this role if:
- You find the possibility of new ideas exciting, not daunting. You enjoy all phases of the design process: defining specifications, concept development, detail design, supplier selection, and making and assembling individual parts and an entire system. You know how to use resources to learn new things and explore new possibilities. You accept feedback gracefully and work to improve continuously as an engineer and member of a team.
- You strive to be an expert using your respective design tools (CAD, modeling software, programming languages). You are comfortable, happy, and competent doing hands on work and behind a computer screen.
- You take personal pride in the quality of your work.
To apply, please provide a cover letter that explains why you are best qualified and motivated for the role of Engineering Internship, along with your resume/CV, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference Engineering Internship in the subject.