Location: Alameda, California
Engineering Disciplines: Mechanical, Mechatronics, Controls, Systems Engineering, Environmental Engineering Science
Engineering interns at Natel work on challenging projects critical to the company’s success. Your role will integrate you within a small and fast paced team environment and take you through many phases of design and validation process, from concept generation to prototyping and testing. You will document your work thoroughly, leverage and build your technical and problem solving skills, ask pointed questions, present in design reviews, and be responsible for delivering your projects on time.
We host exceptional candidates of any academic year (undergraduate or graduate student) on a limited basis. Your internship projects will be based on current company needs. Examples of recent projects include:
- Machine design creating static and fatigue test equipment to evaluate turbine components, followed by test planning, execution, and quantitative failure analysis.
- Closed loop control system development for a 100kW pumped hydraulic test facility including system modeling and fault handling.
- Turbine mechanical assembly and component design including detailed structural analysis accompanied by performance and cost modeling.
- Development of dynamic hydraulic plant models for controller-in-the-loop simulation.
- Integrating CFD and
Similar projects may be available for summer 2021; as the internship time frame approaches Natel will work closely with selected candidates to identify an exciting challenge that maps to our needs and your interests.
You will thrive in this role if:
- You find the possibility of new ideas exciting, not daunting. You enjoy all phases of the design process: defining specifications, concept development, detail design, supplier selection, and making and assembling individual parts and an entire system. You know how to use resources to learn new things and explore new possibilities. You accept feedback gracefully and work to improve as an engineer and team member.
- You strive to be an expert using your respective design tools (CAD, modeling software, programming languages). You are comfortable, happy, and competent doing work both hands on and behind a computer screen.
- You take personal pride in the quality of your work.
- You work well in a fast-paced team environment.
To apply, please provide a cover letter along with your resume/CV in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing Engineering Internship in the subject. Internships are nominally expected to take place at Natel’s headquarters in Alameda CA, however this must remain TBD as the circumstances of the COVID pandemic unfold.