Reports to: General Manager, Hydro
Location: Remote or Alameda, California (corporate headquarters)
Natel Energy’s mission is to restore rivers while generating reliable renewable energy, motivated by the fact that climate change is water change. We do this through a combination of hardware, software and project development. Our hardware solutions are fish-safe, compact, high-performance turbines ranging from 100 kW to 3 MW, that produce reliable renewable energy while protecting or enhancing watershed ecosystems. Our software solutions combine satellite data and advanced machine learning techniques to provide more accurate, timely and efficient solutions for forecasting water resources and monitoring landscape change at the watershed scale. Our project development team finds, secures, develops and builds hydropower projects deploying our technology solutions. Natel is well funded with support from some of the largest international names in clean energy and climate tech, including Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Schneider Electric Ventures, Ajax Strategies and Chevron Future Energy Ventures.
Natel is rapidly growing its portfolio of hydro power plants and is consequently looking for a Director to manage our Hydro Plant Operations.
The Director, Hydro Plant Operations will lead the operations of the hydro power plants owned and operated by Natel in North America. As part of a dynamic and agile team, you will have the opportunity to significantly contribute to Natel’s growth by being accountable for energy production, operations, revenues and EBITDA generated by Natel’s hydropower plants in the United States. If you are a driven individual seeking a wide range of responsibility and an opportunity to build and lead a growing plant operations organization, we encourage you to apply.
- Build a robust plant operation general set-up by defining the right guidelines, tools and mechanisms for the hydropower plants portfolio;
- Ensure plants’ operations with the objective of maximizing power production, hence revenues, and reducing operational costs;
- Be accountable for hydropower plants budget;
- Build and manage a successful operation team by adding and retaining staff;
- Screen, identify and select site contractors and negotiate favorable terms and conditions (cost, quality, lead time) with them;
- Manage small refurbishments/CAPEX operations;
- Be accountable for quality and EHS compliance on Natel’s hydro power plants’ sites;
- Set-up the right operating model for those plants and set the right KPIs to monitor operations;
- Regularly report hydro plants operational status to the management team;
- Work closely with the engineering team to ensure that the right engineering support is provided to plant operations;
- Work closely with the supply chain team to ensure that Natel benefits for its supplies from the most favorable terms for cost, quality and lead time;
- Work closely with the project execution team for major retrofits;
- Act as a representative of Natel towards local stakeholders.
- 6+ years of experience in power plants operation.
- Ability to work across the United States in different states, with frequent travel.
- Experience in renewable energy and in hydropower is preferred.
You would be a good fit if:
- You want to work at a dynamic, agile, impact-focused company.
- You’re pragmatic and get things done efficiently without sacrificing quality.
- You’re dynamic, empathetic, and understand that giving and receiving honest direct feedback helps everyone to grow.
- You’re a great communicator and enjoy collaborating with an engaged team.
- You’re self-motivated, have an independent work ethic and can stay organized and manage your own time well across multiple projects
- You are passionate about decarbonizing our grid while making our watersheds more resilient to climate change!
Location & Travel
Remote with option of being based in Alameda, CA. We conduct business using technologies like Slack, Google Suite and video conferencing. We do an annual in-person trip to our Alameda office to work, bond, and celebrate our successes. If you prefer to work in an office, this position could be staffed at our offices in Alameda, CA.
Travel. We are looking for someone with flexibility to travel to hydro power plants sites for meetings and conferences ~35% of the time on an as-needed basis.
Founded by MIT alumni, we are headquartered in a beautiful office, R&D and prototyping space in a repurposed hangar on the former Naval Air Station in Alameda, CA. The majority of our team works on a distributed/remote basis so work location is entirely flexible. We offer competitive salary, equity ownership potential, and an opportunity to work in a fun and driven environment with highly skilled, creative people. We are also proud to offer great benefits like 4 weeks of paid vacation and trans-inclusive health insurance plans (along with dental, vision and life insurance). We want our team to live full lives outside of work.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 30, 2022. Please reference “Director, Hydro Plant Operations” in the subject. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Natel Energy is committed to building, supporting, and growing a diverse team. We have a standardized interview process designed to reduce individual bias, and have structured pay scales to prevent inequity. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.