Location: Alameda, CA
Natel Energy, Inc. is launching a groundbreaking hydropower product enabling cost-effective production of low impact, distributed baseload hydropower from existing low dams, irrigation canals, and other low head hydropower resources. Natel wholly owns a subsidiary company -Kinet- focused on developing community scale hydro power and hybridized renewable energy projects for the evolving grid. Kinet has ~20 MW of projects under development and is prepared to expand its pipeline in 2017 and 2018. Kinet’s core market is North America.
The [VP/Senior Director] of Project Development will be responsible for managing Kinet’s portfolio of renewable energy projects, including both “advanced” projects and project pipeline. The preferred candidate will have experience managing complex development projects to completion.
- Manage a portfolio of “advanced” projects in Oregon and California. Help direct a small team to progress interconnection, site control, ppa negotiations and stakeholder engagement.
- Identify, prioritize and secure additional pipeline focused on:
- Suitable irrigation districts in the WECC, primarily California, Oregon and Washington
- Suitable non-power dam opportunities in New York, New England and PJM.
- Be the primary point of contact between Kinet and stakeholders during negotiation of land leases, local outreach, regulatory interaction and commercial pitches.
- Define and quantify the value proposition of hydro and hydro hybridized with other resources internally and externally.
- Support Natel product development and engineering team, responsible for the realization of the hydro projects, to secure the installation and commissioning of the projects within an agreed time frame.
- Develop an understanding/expertise with regard to hydro development economics to guide business strategy and quantify differentiation value of Natel hydro value proposition.
Knowledge, skills and experience required:
- Entrepreneurial creativity and drive tempered by a strong project management discipline with a bias for detail.
- Presentation and communication skills commensurate with board level interaction.
- Familiarity with and appreciation for team building and coaching.
- Deep knowledge of renewable generation and energy storage technology.
- Conversant with environmental permitting processes for renewable energy projects (i.e. CEQA, NEPA, etc).
- Familiarity with power system modeling tools including ETAP, SKM, PSS/E, HOMER.
- Familiarity with interconnection application processes and FERC permitting regimes.
- Experience negotiating and closing project finance & EPC agreements.
- Ability to stimulate intellectual curiosity of colleagues.
- Strong ability to learn.
- MBA or equivalent (Engineering expertise strongly encouraged).
- 5 to 10 years experience in project management in renewable energy or a related sector.